The salt/ sugar drops to the bottom and pushes the carbon dioxide out.
The carbon dioxide has a nucleus to hold on to which in this case is the salt/ sugar.
Procedura of Experiment:
- Fill a balloon with 1/4 sugar (Have this prepped before the Coke is opened)
- Get a bottle of Coke/ Pepsi
- Slowly take the lid off the Coke
- (Ensure there are no holes in the balloon)
- Place balloon over the top of bottle
- Tilt the balloon so that the sugar/salt slowly falls into the bottle
- Watch what happens to the soda and the balloon.
- Repeat the experience with salt
Soda Pop Experiment from Tamaki Primary on Vimeo.